8-day River Cruise – Including Air from Montreal
Join us for a Tulip Serenade aboard the Amadeus Queen
- Experience Holland in the most beautiful way, by cruising along its extensive waterways, which flow through the country like an intricate net, past almost endless tulip fields and many small, picturesque places where you have the opportunity for an abundance of unforgettable excursions. In addition to Amsterdam, the “Venice of the North, other highlights of this trip include Rotterdam, Ghent, Antwerp and Brussels.
DAY 1 AMSTERDAM Welcome Dinner
This afternoon, embark and settle into your cabin. This evening, join us for a Welcome Cocktail, followed by a specially-prepared Welcome Dinner. A Traditional Shanty Choir performance onboard makes a perfect beginning to your journey.
DAY 2 AMSTERDAM Canal boat tour in Amsterdam & Dutch cheese tasting
After a restful night on board, set off to see the sights of one of the most unique cities in Europe. Beautiful bridges connect numerous parts of the city which is divided by hundreds of canals and waterways, lined with 17th century architecture. Be sure to stop by the Oude Kerk (Old Church), the oldest building in the city or perhaps stop by the Anne Frank House – the day is yours to explore. Enjoy a delicious dinner onboard after which the vessel departs Amsterdam.
DAY 3 ARNHEM The bridge of Arnhem
Breakfast is served as the vessel arrives in the city of Arnhem. Located in the eastern part of the Netherlands, Arnhem is a bustling city with plenty to offer, including a rich heritage including the famous John Frost Bridge – a ‘bridge too far’ during the Battle of Arnhem, the Airborne Museum of Hartenstein and an open air museum which recounts daily life in Arnhem. You can also visit the Burgers’ Zoo, the most-visited zoo in the Netherlands. Back on board, enjoy dinner as we cruise to the Capital of Zeeland.
DAY 4 MIDDELBURG Gothic town hall in Middelburg & Delta works
After a morning spent cruising the waterways, we arrive in the picturesque town of Middelburg. In the Golden Age (17th c), the Dutch East India Company flourished, evidenced by the merchant houses and storefronts that line the canals. For a feat of modern technology, visit the impressive Delta Works. This expansive series of dams was built to protect the area against flooding and high tides. Several original windmills still stand on the outskirts of town, representing another innovative technology of a bygone era.
DAY 5 GHENT Historic old town of Ghent and Bruges
Overnight, cross the border into Belgium and reach the city of Ghent, where your vessel will remain anchored for the day. Ghent is the country’s third largest city and one of Belgium’s best kept secrets. Home to the beautiful St. Bavo Cathedral and the famous Ghent Altarpiece, Ghent is also home to numerous other museums. There is something for everyone. Another beautiful city worth visiting is nearby Bruges, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Visit the Basilica of the Holy Blood with its holy relic – a vial of blood – that is said to be that of Jesus. Or perhaps visit the Groeninge Museum with its collection of artwork that spans several centuries. This evening, join your fellow travelers for dinner.
DAY 6 ANTWERP Antwerp’s Diamonds and Brussel’s Lace
Wake up in this beautiful Belgian port city, one of the largest ports in the world. Famous for its diamond trade, Antwerp is also home to numerous cultural jewels. Among them, the Cathedral of Our Lady with paintings by the famous Baroque artist Peter Paul Rubens, including the Raising of the Cross and the Assumption of the Virgin Mary, is not to be missed. Spend the afternoon in Antwerp following individual pursuits or venture to the nearby capital city of Brussels, a major center for international politics. This evening enjoy the Captain’s Gala Dinner.
DAY 7 ROTTERDAM Flower gardens in Keukenhof & evening cruise in Rotterdam
On today’s return to the Netherlands, we arrive at another major port city – Rotterdam. This vibrant city has a strong maritime history as well as bold, modern, architecture. Nearby, the historic windmills of Kinderdijk are a good example of the rich history of the Netherlands and are in contrast to the modern city.
This afternoon explore this dynamic city or perhaps venture to the Keukenhof Flower Gardens. This beautiful park features more tulips in flower than anywhere else in the world. Over 7 million bulbs are planted here annually, with visitors from around the world coming to explore the 9-and-a-half-mile network of footpaths, including the largest sculpture park in the Netherlands. Later this evening, the vessel sets off for its final port of call – Amsterdam.
DAY 8 AMSTERDAM Farewell
After breakfast, we bid you farewell. We hope to welcome you back again soon!
- Large, outside river-view staterooms, most with French balconies or walk-out balconies
- Free-flowing red & white wines from Europe’s famous wine regions, beer & soft drinks
with every lunch and dinner onboard
- Gourmet dining onboard
- Cocktail Reception, Welcome Dinner and Captain’s Gala Dinner
- Services of an experienced English-speaking onboard Cruise Director
- 24 hour coffee station
- All onboard entertainment including talks, cooking demonstrations, musical
- Bottled water in every stateroom
- In-stateroom infotainment center
- Complimentary use of onboard bicycles
- Complimentary Wi-Fi onboard
- Complimentary state-of-the-art audio headsets for optional excursions
- All local taxes & port taxes included
- Owing to the variety of available excursions it‘s often difficult to choose between them – so on this cruise we offer you tailor-made and carefully composed sets of excursions that you can book in advance with 15% discount. All excursions are optional and can of course also be booked individually at regular rates on board.
*Includes 8-day river cruise, accommodations as indicated above, flights, airport taxes & fees. OPC Indemnity Fund fee of $1 per $1,000 of travel products sold and optional travel insurance are additional. Limited space, other conditions and restrictions may apply. Not all travel dates available. Offer is subject to change or cancellation at any time.