Golf Vacations in Great Britain and Ireland
The wild, windswept links of Great Britain are both romantic and historic. This is golf in its purest form. These challenging courses where golf was born are number one on golfers’ ‘must play’ lists. For non-golfers they are another fascinating aspect of life in Britain – with some excellent resort accommodation right next door.
Throughout Great Britain and Ireland, golf has been a popular pastime for centuries. Britain is known for its scenic links courses in natural settings along the coast – windswept, treeless and sandy. At many, you are playing with history and walking in the footsteps of legends. It can be a moving and thrilling experience.
- Scotland is the home of golf and St. Andrews is at the centre. With six centuries of golf history, several superb links courses and the Royal and Ancient Golf Club, St. Andrews is world famous. Have your photo taken on the little Roman bridge on The Old Course, one of five sought after courses here. April and May are the best times to try to get tee times.
- Several Scottish courses making the top 30 have been home to the British Open – Carnoustie, Muirfield, Prestwick, Royal Troon, and Turnberry which date from the 16th century, 1744, 1851, 1878 and 1906 respectively. Turnberry, said to be the most beautiful course, will host the British Open again in 2009.
- England’s Golf Coast is in the North west of the country from the Lake District, south to Merseyside. This is home to 20 links courses, seven of which are ranked in the top 36 courses of the UK and Ireland including the famous Royal Liverpool, Royal Lytham & St Annes and Royal Birkdale which hosted the British Open for the ninth time in 2008.
- Wales has 176 golf courses. The next Ryder Cup matches, between Europe and the United States, will take place in 2010 at the five-star Celtic Manor Resort in Newport. Other outstanding courses are Royal Porthcawl, Royal St Davids, Ashburnham, Pyle & Kenfig and Conway.
- With Irishman Padraig Harrington winning back-to-back Open Championships, excitement about golf in Ireland has never been higher. There are 300 golf courses throughout Northern Ireland and Ireland, a combination of links, parkland and meadowland courses. AIB Ladies Irish Open will again be held at the Portmarnock Hotel and Golf Links near Dublin, June 26 to 28, 2009.
Spectacular Accommodation, Facilities & Destination Weddings
Even if you don’t play golf, there are many good reasons to consider staying on the grounds.
- Golf hotels are often in breathtaking surroundings with ocean views.
- They range from plush, modern resorts to classy, historic hotels all with a club-like atmosphere.
- Most offer a full range of facilities like luxurious spas, beauty clinics, swimming pools and a variety of restaurants.
- They can provide a luxurious base from which to explore the surrounding countryside and local attractions.
- Romance and dinner packages aimed at non-golfers are frequently offered.
- Golf hotels are excellent venues for destination weddings and many have facilities and packages specifically for the occasion.
Golf Packages & Event Tickets
You’ll find good value in golf packages which combine accommodation with services like transfers to and from the course, equipment rental, pro shop discounts and lessons.
Our On Location partners can provide a variety of golf packages throughout Great Britain and Ireland. They can also arrange tickets for special events from the Scottish Golf Show, held each March, to Ryder Cup matches.
These knowledgeable, local experts can assist with all the travel planning if you want to combine your golf trip with other activities.
There are many options when adding golf to your British vacation. Whether you play the links or make the most of a golf hotel, you’ll find golf in Britain is something very special.
*Applicable to all escorted tour or cruise bookings for two or more passengers valued at over $1000 per person before taxes and made through Grand Escapades with our preferred suppliers – Visa gift card will be made available following full payment of booking – One visa gift card per booking – cannot be combined with any other Grand Escapades promotion or discount – to qualify for gift card, client must provide promo-code VGC100 at the time of booking – Not valid in jurisdictions that deems it illegal – Offer may be withdrawn or modified at any time. – Visa, and the Visa design are trademarks of Visa International.